Monday, June 22, 2009

Versailles and Jeff Koons, What's Next?

I was checking my daily articles on my account at MutualArt.com when I came across an article on Jeff Koons and his Lobster that was showcased in the Chateau de Versailles Jeff Koons exhibit outside of Paris. I remembered all the outrage, curiosity, and talk this show instigated last year. If buzz can be created, it means it is bound to happen again and that is exactly what people have in mind.

Jeff Koons' Versailles show has opened up a whole new way of exhibiting art works and commenting on the ways of the old. The irony at hand I guess is that one of the symbols of brand name art, the status of our day, what is exciting and popular and exhuberant somehow doesn't fit in with its equivalent of the 17th century during the time of the Sun King (le roi soleil.) I guess it didn't fit in with the living room?

The French artist Xavier Veilhan will be the focus of the next exhibition at the chateau de Versailles where the first piece has been described as "A dynamic sculpture depicting a team of bright purple cube-like horses pulling a carriage" as on cbcNews. Maybe because the artist is French there will be less rioting this time around- and maybe less visitors. Who knows but we'll find out in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment