Monday, January 26, 2009

My Purpose

So I am sure that a lot of you are wondering, "well...your blog is all well and good Shep but what do you DO?" And I am here to answer that exact question. 

The art consultant basically serves one major purpose: to help you understand the art world and understand the role of collecting within that world. For example, I recently had a meeting with a potential new client who has just begun collecting art - his interest runs deep but he doesn't have the proper skill set to navigate galleries and hasn't kept on top of the revolving door of NYC galleries since his interest set in. Because art is, yes, a hobby and passion, but a very expensive one, it is vitally important that one not rush into a collection. A smart collection is built on love and passion but also solid research, correct assumptions and long-term intentions. Not even the most rabid fan can put together a collection without a working knowledge of a city's art scene, relationships with galleries, other collectors, auction house officials, etc. So that's why I am here: I am your key to the interior of the art world. Depending on their sophistication of knowledge of the art market, I walk my clients through the basics of art history, explain why one painting is more significant than another, explain why two apparently similar paintings are priced so differently, and try to meet any collecting goals the collector might have (whether that be to support local artists, build a museum quality collection, community building, investment property, etc.). 

I have years of experience in this field and have come to learn not only the ways of the art world but also many people in many different walks of life. I am a great resource no matter what your quandary but my real interest lies in the discovery and fostering of emerging artists in and around the US. This is what my personal collection is made up of primarily. I collection in this sphere for two reasons: it is exhilarating to find a truly talented artist in the rough and it is a whole lot cheaper than collecting Miros. 

No comments:

Post a Comment